Juli M. Porto
Juli M. Porto handles a wide range of appellate civil matters in the Court of Appeals of Virginia and Supreme Court of Virginia.
In addition to bringing and defending appeals, she consults with trial attorneys to develop legal theories of recovery and draft complaints, brief and argue dispositive and post-trial motions, and monitor trials in preparation for defending or prosecuting an appeal. Juli is a member of the Virginia Bar Association’s Appellate Section Council and the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association’s Amicus Committee. She has published articles in The Virginia Trial Lawyers Association Journal, VTLAppeal, and Law360 and regularly teaches continuing legal education courses in appellate law to other attorneys across the state.
At the trial level, Juli devotes her practice to personal injury matters with complex liability issues. She has been honored for her legal accomplishments by several organizations and is regularly ranked as a top attorney by Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Arlington magazine, Virginia Business magazine, and the Washingtonian.
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D.)
- New York University (B.A, Honors Scholar)
- United States Military Academy (, National Defense Service Medal, Air Assault (Honorable Discharge))
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional Honors & Activities
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly (Go To Lawyer, Appellate Litigation)
- Washingtonian's Top Lawyers (Personal Injury)
- Super Lawyers (Appeals)
- Northern Virginia Magazine (Personal Injury)
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America, Ones To Watch (Personal Injury)
- The National Trial Lawyers "Top 40 Under 40" (Personal Injury)
- Virginia Business Magazine "Legal Elite" (Appeals)
- Arlington Magazine’s Top Attorneys (Personal Injury & Appeals)
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys “10 Best in Client Satisfaction" (Personal Injury)
Presentations and Lectures
- Case Law Update (VTLA Annual Convention 2023)
- Convention Committee, VTLA Annual Convention (VTLA Annual Convention 2022)
- Ethics in Appellate Practice (VBA 5th Appellate Summit 2021)
- Chair, VTLA Annual Tort Law Seminar (VTLA Tort Law Seminar 2021)
- Appellate Analysis: The Law of Duty (VTLA Annual Convention 2021)
- Obtaining Neuropsychological Raw Data (VTLA Traumatic Brain Injury Retreat 2021)
- Ridehail Seminar (VTLA Annual Convention 2020)
- Technology & Advocacy (VTLA Advocacy Summit 2019)
- Litigating the Pressure Injury Case (VTLA Nursing Home Litigation Retreat 2019)
- Proving Damages (National Business Institute 2016)
- Getting the Most Out of Medical Experts and Records (National Business Institute 2016)
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Courtroom and Client Presentations (National Business Institute 2015)
- The Many Uses of Microsoft Excel in Legal Practice (National Business Institute 2015)
- Ridehail Crime Victim Litigation Group, National Chair
- Virginia Bar Association, Appellate Section Council
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Amicus Committee
- American Association of Justice
- Fairfax County Bar Association
- Prince William County Bar Association
- Quoted, How Va. Appellate Overhaul is Shaking Up the Old Dominion, Law360 (February 8, 2023). sub. req.
- Co-author, Essential Strategies for Representing Brain Injury Plaintiffs, Law360 (February 25, 2021). sub. req.
- Quoted, Uber's Challenge to Balance Driver Safety With Customer Privacy, New York Times (March 10, 2020), available at: tinyurl.com/PortoNYT.
- Is There a New Sheriff in Town Named "A.H. Tingler?", VTLAppeal, Vol. 3, No. 2, at 6 (2020).
- Be Careful What You Ask For: Cashion v. Smith May Not Keep You From Getting It, VTLAppeal, Vol. 3, No. 1, at 10 (2020).
- Co-author, Itemizing Intangible Damages in Closing Argument, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 23, No. 3, at 8 (2012).
- Service2School: Helping Veterans Apply to School, 2011 – present
- Foster v. Foster, 2022 WL 2202988, Record No. 1141-21-2 (Virginia Court of Appeals 2022)
- Elliott v. Elliott, 2022 WL 598336, Record No. 0754-21-4 (Virginia Court of Appeals 2022)
- VTLA Amicus, Doe v. Baker, 299 Va. 628, 857 S.E.2d 573 (Virginia Supreme Court 2021)
- Jung v. Park, 2021 WL 1235422, Record No. 191495 (Virginia Supreme Court 2021)
- Hampton v. Meyer, 299 Va. 121, 847 S.E.2d 287 (Virginia Supreme Court 2020)
- Wilson v. Lee, 2018 WL 633522, Record No. 170347 (Virginia Supreme Court 2018)
- Toraish v. Lee, 293 Va. 262, 797 S.E.2d 760 (Virginia Supreme Court 2017)
- Wakole v. Barber, 283 Va. 488, 722 S.E.2d 238 (Virginia Supreme Court 2012)