Appellate and Trial Consulting Practice
Blankingship & Keith’s Appellate and Trial Consulting Practice group thoroughly understands Virginia’s many unique rules and laws.
We are intimately familiar with the recent changes to the jurisdiction of the Court of Appeals of Virginia. Clients trust our attorneys to develop strategies to avoid losses and protect wins secured in lower courts. Our appellate team has not only successfully litigated matters before the Virginia appeals courts and the Supreme Court of Virginia, but also at the federal appellate level.
Our appellate practitioners possess a comprehensive and deep understanding of the rules of the jurisdiction in which they practice and the judicial philosophies of the appropriate courts. Blankingship & Keith’s seasoned appellate attorneys offer deep subject-matter expertise across of the firm’s practice areas, including personal injury, family law, corporate, contracts, real estate, eminent domain, and land use and development, among others, and are well-known in the legal community for their stellar work.
Oftentimes preparing to appeal an adverse decision begins at the lower court. Our team will also monitor a trial to identify appealable issues early and ensure the record is protected. We also study and become intimately familiar with the trial record to answer nearly any question.
Representative matters include:
- Foster v. Foster, 2022 WL 2202988, Record No. 1141-21-2 (Virginia Court of Appeals 2022).
- Elliott v. Elliott, 2022 WL 598336, Record No. 0754-21-4 (Virginia Court of Appeals 2022).
- Susan E. Phillips v. John Mark Rohrbaugh, Jr. 2021 WL 4898511 (Virginia Supreme Court 2021).
- Historic Alexandria Foundation v. City of Alexandria, et al., 299 Va. 694, 858 S.E. 2d 199 (Virginia Supreme Court 2021).
- Jung v. Park, 2021 WL 1235422, Record No. 191495 (Virginia Supreme Court 2021).
- Hampton v. Meyer, 299 Va. 121, 847 S.E.2d 287 (Virginia Supreme Court 2020).
- Wilson v. Lee, 2018 WL 633522, Record No. 170347 (Virginia Supreme Court 2018)
- Toraish v. Lee, 293 Va. 262, 797 S.E.2d 760 (Virginia Supreme Court 2017).
- Shareholder Representative Services, LLC v. Airbus Americas, Inc., 292 Va. 682, 791 S.E.2d 724 (Virginia Supreme Court 2016).
- Paul Lee, et al. v. Lisa Spoden, 290 Va. 235 (Virginia Supreme Court 2015).
- Martin and Drewry v. City of Alexandria et.. al., 286 Va. 61, 743 S.E. 2d 139 ( Virginia Supreme Court 2013).
- Town of Leesburg v. Long Lane Associates, 726 Va. 61, 727 S.E. 2d 27 (Supreme Court of Virginia 2012)
- Barber v. Wakole, 283 Va. 488, 722 S.E.2d 238 (Virginia Supreme Court 2012).
- McLean v. Ray, 488 F. App'x 677 (4th Cir. 2012).
- Dean v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 281 Va. 536, 708 S.E.2d 830 ( Supreme Court of Virginia 2011).
- Mary Renkey, et al. v. County Board of Arlington County, et al. 634 S.E.2d 352, Record No. 052139 (Virginia Supreme Court 2006).
- Gen. Tech. Applications, Inc v. Exro Ltda, 388 F.3d 114 (4th Cir. 2004).
- Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County v. United States, 276 F.3d 1359 (Fed. Cir. 2002).
- Turner and Wall v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 263 Va. 283, 559 S.E.2d 683 (2002)
- Cox v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 249 F.3d 295 (4th Cir.), cert. denied, 122 S. Ct. 544 (2001)
- Alexakis v. Mallios, 261 Va. 425 (Virginia Supreme Court 2001).
- Premier Signatures International, Inc. v. Feld Entertainment Productions, Inc.,1999 U.S. App. LEXIS 14028; Case No. 98-2456 (unpublished opinion) (4th Cir. 1999).
- George Atkisson, et al. v. Wexford Associates, et al and Wexford Associates, et al. v. George Atkisson, et al., 254 Va. 449, 493 S.E.2d 524 (Virginia Supreme Court 1997).
- Hazel & Thomas, P.C., et al. v. Shahram Yavari, et al., 251 Va. 162, 465 S.E.2d 812 (Virginia Supreme Court 1996).
Trial Attorney Testimonials
"A well known appellate lawyer, who did not handle family law cases, recommended Juli Porto to represent my client on an appeal by her ex-husband on a spousal support award to my client. My client prevailed on the appeal, and she will be forever grateful, as will I, on the professional and competent manner in which Juli handled the appeal. She quickly isolated the legal issue to be addressed in her well researched brief and well presented oral argument. Juli also developed a good relationship with my client, who I know would have been pleased with Julie's representation regardless of the outcome."
"I retained Juli Porto to argue an appeal before the Supreme Court of Virginia and I could not have been more pleased with the result. After an adverse ruling in Circuit Court dismissed the case, she was able to argue before the Supreme Court and secure a reversal. I was very impressed with both her written argument and oral argument. I would highly recommend her for any appellate work."
- "I cannot thank Juli Porto enough for her expertise, knowledge, support, guidance, professionalism, time and fight for me in my appellate case. Juli absolutely went above and beyond and I am so grateful for her. She will evaluate your case, be upfront and honest regarding your situation, keep you fully informed along the way and take as much time as you need to answer any of your questions or calls. Without any reservation, I highly recommend Juli Porto. If you are in search for an appellate attorney, look no further! Juli Porto is the one you need on your side!"
“Juli Porto offered wise counsel as we walked through a very challenging time. She was responsive, insightful, and went above and beyond to support the best possible outcome.”