Domestic relations law in Virginia addresses a wide range of issues of importance to individuals and families. While the concept readily calls to mind separation, divorce, and attendant concerns such as child custody, support, and the division of marital assets, our team also assists clients in non-divorce cases as well.
Backed by a knowledgeable and efficient support staff, our family law group offers discreet, thorough, and zealous representation. Although we never hesitate to litigate when the occasion demands, we also urge our clients to explore alternative dispute resolution avenues, such as negotiated compromise and settlement, mediation or arbitration, or marital and co-parenting counseling.
Our family law practice is recognized as a top tier practice regionally by U.S. News – Best Law Firms and members of the team are recognized in family law by U.S. News – Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Arlington Magazine “Top Attorneys”, Virginia Business Magazine “Legal Elite”, Northern Virginia Magazine “Top Lawyers”, and Washingtonian Magazine’s “Top Divorce Lawyer”.
Separation and Divorce
Separation and divorce can be stressful and life-altering events for all family members, including children. Legal complexities that arise when a family divides often appear overwhelming and require an understanding of emotional and financial issues in conjunction with the client’s legal rights. Our highly qualified and esteemed lawyers are available to guide you through those troubling times. We provide legal advice and representation in such matters as:
- custody and visitation;
- parent relocation and change of custody issues;
- parental abduction;
- spousal and child support and support modification;
- equitable distribution of marital assets and liabilities (including division of complicated business interests and tracing of separate and marital property interests);
- enforcement of settlement agreements or Court orders for support or property division and other post-divorce issues, including those pertaining to division of retirement assets;
- domestic relations appellate litigation;
- and other related matters.
Family law practice encompasses more than matters related to separation or divorce that impact the formation of a family or for a family in transition. Our family law team also assists clients with non-divorce matters, including:
- marital planning through the negotiation and preparation of pre-marital and marital contracts;
- establishing paternity;
- obtaining or defending against protective orders;
- adoption; and
- grandparent and third-party custody or visitation.
LGBTQ+ Marriage Equality and Family Law
Because of the landmark decision of the United States Supreme Court in Obergefell v. Hodges, same sex couples, previously denied the right of and access to marriage in Virginia, may now wed. They face the same concerns and must deal with the same issues arising under domestic relations law as do heterosexual couples, but with little established Virginia precedent directly on point to guide them. Blankingship & Keith is experienced and well qualified to assist in such matters.