Gifford R. Hampshire
Giff practices in the areas of municipal law, eminent domain, erroneous assessment, zoning, land use and real estate litigation. As an Assistant County Attorney for Prince William County, Giff provided advice to the Prince William County Planning Commission and Board of County Supervisors on a wide range of land use issues. He also assisted in a wide variety of other local government matters including the defense of the Prince William County Police Department and police officers in response to claims of excessive force.
He represented Prince William County in litigation before state and federal courts. His reported cases include the important regulatory takings case of Omni Homes v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 253 Va. 59 (1997) and the eminent domain case of Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County v. United States, 276 F.3d 1359 (Fed. Cir. 2002).
- George Mason University School of Law (1988)
- Hampden-Sydney College (, 1982)
- Virginia State Bar, 1988
- District of Columbia Bar, 1988
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1995
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, 1993
- Eastern District of Virginia, 1988
- Court of Federal Claims, 1995
Professional Honors & Activities
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite: Real Estate and Land Use (2021)
- Arlington Magazine, Top Lawyer: Land Use/Zoning (2022)
- Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course Faculty Member (2010-2014)
- Rated BV by Martindale-Hubbell
- President, GMU American Inn of Court (2011-12)
- Virginia State Bar Council Representative, Prince William County & Cities of Manassas and Manassas Park
- Executive Committee, Prince William County Bar Association
- Chair, Conference of Local Bar Associations (2009-2010)
- Springfield Magisterial District Representative to the Fairfax County Agricultural and Forestal District Committee
- Virginia State Bar Fifth District Disciplinary Committee, Section II (2005-2011)
- Executive Committee, Virginia State Bar Council (2009-2010)
- President, Prince William County Bar Association (2000-2002)
- Virginia State Bar Clients' Protection Fund Board (1998-2004)
- Assistant County Attorney, Prince William County (1989-2002)
- Board of Editors, George Mason University Law Review
- Historic Alexandria Foundation v. City of Alexandria, et al., 299 Va. 694, 858 S.E. 2d 199 (2021)
- Martin and Drewry v. City of Alexandria et. al., 286 Va. 61, 743 S.E. 2d 139 ( 2013) (zoning variance case).
- Town of Leesburg v. Long Lane Associates, 726 Va. 61, 727 S.E. 2d 27 (2012) (zoning contest case).
- Dean v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 281 Va. 536, 708 S.E.2d 830 (2011) (eminent domain case).
- Mary Renkey et al v. County Board of Arlington County et al., 272 Va. 369, 634 S.E. 2d 352 (2006) (zoning contest case).
- Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County v. United States, 276 F.3d 1359 (Fed. Cir. 2002) (eminent domain case). See also previous history of case referred to therein.
- Cox v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 249 F.3d 295 (4th Cir.), cert. denied, 122 S. Ct. 544 (2001) (police excessive force case).
- Turner and Wall v. Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County, 263 Va. 283, 559 S.E.2d 683 (2002) (zoning contest case).
- Board of County Supervisors of Prince William County v. Omni Homes, Inc., 253 Va. 59, 481 S.E.2d 460, cert. denied, 522 U.S. 813 (1997) (regulatory taking case).