David Rust Clarke
David Rust Clarke enjoys a reputation as an experienced and highly principled divorce lawyer. He has over 40 years experience in the area of family law. His practice includes representing clients in routine matters as well as divorce cases involving complex marital estates, custody and support. His clients over the years have included owners of closely held businesses, CEO's and other professionals.
Shunning the bombastic and confrontational style of some practitioners, David is best known for bringing a steadying influence to what is very often a highly charged emotional environment. Fully appreciative of the costs and uncertainties of litigation, David believes that before resorting to the courts his clients are well served by first attempting to reach an accord. However, when settlement is not attainable, clients may rely on David's skills as an experienced litigator and his familiarity with state court divorce proceedings.
- Hampden-Sydney College (B.A., 1974)
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D., 1979)
- Virginia State Bar
- Fairfax Bar Association
Professional Honors & Activities
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell since 1994
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 2015
- Best Lawyers in America®, Family Law & Family Law Mediation since 2010
- Washingtonian Magazine, Top Divorce Lawyer since 2020
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite since 2003
- Selected as "Virginia Super Lawyer" since 2007
- Arlington Magazine, Top Attorneys, Family Law since 2019
- Northern Virginia Magazine, Top Lawyer, Family Law
Virginia State Bar
- Board of Governors, Family Law Section (Member) 2009-2013
- 5th District Disciplinary Committee (Member) 1993-1999
Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Family Law Section
- Fairfax County Circuit Court Neutral Case Evaluator (2002-present)
Seminar Presentations And Publications
- Lecturer for Women's Center: "Virginia Divorce Law"
- Lecturer for Half Moon Seminars: "Your Rights Under Equitable Distribution"
- Author of Outline: "Understanding Virginia Equitable Distribution Law"
- Author: "Rules to Show Cause: The Sometimes Friend of the Family Law Practitioner"
- Vienna Youth Inc., Chairman (1998-2008)
- Goodwin House, Inc., Board Member (2015-2020)
- Represented both fathers and mothers in contested custody cases.
- Represented spouse in multi-million dollar marital estate involving the marshaling and tracing of funds spread worldwide.
- Represented spouses in cases involving secreting of marital funds and valuing marital share of closely held businesses.