Laurie L. Kirkland
Laurie Kirkland's practice focuses on civil litigation with an emphasis on employment law, commercial litigation, and complex business litigation. She has represented both corporate and individual clients in proceedings in state courts in Northern Virginia, in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and in the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Additionally, she has represented employers before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. In addition to litigation, Laurie routinely provides advice and counsel to corporate clients on a variety of employment matters.
Laurie is active in the Fairfax Bar Association, the Virginia Bar Association, and the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. For five years, Laurie served on the Young Lawyers Section's Board of Directors of the Fairfax Bar Association, including serving as the Secretary and the President.
Laurie has been selected as a "Legal Elite" by Virginia Business Magazine, and she has been named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Prior to joining Blankingship & Keith, Laurie graduated with honors from George Mason University School of Law, and she completed a clerkship with the Honorable R. Terrence Ney of the Fairfax County Circuit Court.
Professional Honors & Activities
Virginia State Bar, Member
- 5th District Disciplinary Committee (2017-present)
- Young Lawyers' Conference, Annual Meeting Committee (2009-2011)
Federal Bar Association, Member
Fairfax Bar Association, Member
- Member of the Board of Directors (2014-2015)
- President of the Young Lawyers' Section (2013-2014)
- Secretary of the Young Lawyers' Section (2011-2012)
- Member of the Young Lawyers' Section Board of Directors (2010-2015)
Fairfax Law Foundation
- Member of the Board of Directors (2012-2013)
- Member of the Run for Justice 5K Committee (2012-2016)
Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Young Lawyers' Division, Liaison to George Mason University School of Law
Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Northern Virginia Chapter, Member
Named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine from 2014 to 2017
Named a "Legal Elite," Young Lawyers' Category, by Virginia Business Magazine from 2014 to 2017
- Defended individuals and corporate clients in proceedings in all levels of Virginia state and federal courts
- Defended clients in a number of employment discrimination cases before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, in the Eastern District of Virginia, and in the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Assisted in the representation of defendants against business tort claims and claims involving non-competition and non-solicitation covenants
- Assisted in the defense of law firms and attorneys in legal malpractice cases in both state and federal courts