Education Law and Litigation
The attorneys in Blankingship & Keith’s education law and litigation practice have served for over 30 years as general counsel and outside counsel to multiple public school divisions, charter schools, and private schools in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
We provide legal advice on a wide range of school-related topics to school boards, administrators, teachers, and other school employees on a daily basis, and regularly represent those clients in administrative proceedings and in the state and federal trial and appellate courts. Our litigation skills are enhanced by our attorneys’ collective knowledge of education law and familiarity with the operational aspects of public school divisions.
Our practice encompasses all areas of school representation, including:
- special education;
- disability issues under the IDEA, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the ADA;
- student discipline;
- employment law and employee grievances;
- Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act;
- student privacy issues under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act;
- procurement law;
- tort claims involving students, employees, and school vehicles;
- real estate, condemnation, and land use; and
- a broad spectrum of constitutional and civil rights claims.
Attorneys in other practice groups of Blankingship & Keith also provide representation to our school clients in the areas of real estate, land use, zoning, and other legal specialties.